What We do
The Ottawa Senators Foundation believes that investing in programs and initiatives that promote both physical and mental wellness in our kids is a critical priority. We are committed to ensuring that kids are given the opportunity to be active and engaged and to feel good about themselves. This is how we help.
The needs of children and youth in our community have never been greater.
Our children have health risks
- Left unchecked, 70% of adult Canadians will be obese in the near future.
- Approximately 90% of Canadian youth do not get the appropriate level of daily physical activity.
Our children have social risks
Children who remain indoors do not develop social interaction skills and suffer from:
- mental and emotional stress
- obesity and other ills
- poor academic performance
Our children have risks that can impact their lives
- One in five children in Ottawa lives in poverty and many do not have access to after-school sports, recreational or social programs.
- Kids 8-18 years spend nearly 4-6 hours a day in front of a TV screen and almost two additional hours online and playing video games.